Monday, May 4, 2009

Another Dream...

Since I’ve just finished teaching a lesson on pronouns last week, I might as well focus on Pronouns as a grammar point this week for the blog! Grammar assignment: Highlight the pronouns, and then write five comprehensive sentences using a different pronoun in each sentence!
I’ve always been interested in teaching on Native American Reservations. I enjoy learning about other cultures and would like to live in another part of the States, although there is a reservation in Eastern Long Island. It belongs to the Shinnecock nation. Another reservation that I looked into was the Pine Ridge Reservation, out in North Dakota. Many Lakota people live still there. Just to clarify, they call themselves “Lakota,” but the term “Lakota” refers to three different Native American heritages. Another place that I was looking into was the Navajo reservation in Arizona. This reservation is one of the largest in the nation; not quite as populous as Pine Ridge, but still has great need. There are several organizations that offer ways to volunteer your time or teaching positions, such as Americorps, or the Bureau of Indian Education. See the links below.

Vocabulary
Reservation- a piece of land granted by the government to people with Native American heritage
Culture- the traditions, customs, and beliefs of a people
Lakota, Shinnecock, Navajo- names of different Native American tribes
Heritage- background, the culture of generations within families
Volunteer- to give time without pay, to help othersOrganizations- groups that coordinate programs
Organizations- groups that coordinate programs

Cloze Exercises:
1. A Navajo _______________ is located in Arizona.
2. I enjoy learning about other ____________________.
3.Names of different Native American tribes are __________, ___________, and _______________.
4.The term Lakota is an umbrella term for three other types of _________.
5. Americorps has several _____________ programs, that recruit people to help others.
6. Americorps is one of the ________________ that coordinate programs that recruit teachers to volunteer or work on reservations.

Useful links: http://www.americorps.org/, http://www.shinnecocknation.com/ http://enan.bia.edu/home.aspx

3 comments:

  1. I want to go to some pow wows out West someday. I hear they have 2000 families of many different tribes at one in Montana.

    I think my family may be Mohawk, but I am unsure. I have to do some more research in Brooklyn. In the US Census, if an Indian lived in a white neighborhood, he was "white," so I have hit a dead end with official documents. I do know who was Native American, but I don't know the tribe. I have to look for some family or church documents or newspaper announcements of marriages, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful dream. I pray one day you will be able to reach it. Th plight of the Native American and South American indigenous tribes has been long ignored. I am very touched by your ideas and hope you realized them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lizette!
    That means a lot to me; I hope this dream comes true. Thanks for believing in me!
    katie

    ReplyDelete